Is the labeling of genetically engineered (GE) foods important to you? Here is your opportunity to be heard and tell Florida lawmakers that you want GE food labeled. Sign The Food & Water Watch petition to pass legislation to require labeling for genetically engineered foods in Florida.
On Friday (3/1) Rep. Michelle Rehwinkel-Vasilinda and Sen. Maria Lorts Sachs introduced bills to require labeling for genetically engineered food in Florida, the bills are HB 1233 and S 1728.
What are genetically engineered foods?
- GE foods are genetically altered in a lab to resist herbicides or to make a plant produce its own internal pesticide to repel insects.
- GE foods have not been tested for long-term impacts on human health or the environment.
- Just as labels require nutrition information, we should require GE ingredients to be labeled so we can make informed decisions about the food we eat.
- Polling shows that 80-90% of consumers want GE foods to be labeled.
- Adding labels on foods that contain GE ingredients would not increase food costs.
Food & Water Watch is a non-profit organization that advocates for policies to ensure the food, water and fish we consume is safe, accessible and sustainably produced. Located in 15 offices in the United States, they work with a range of constituencies to inform and hold policymakers accountable so that our shared resources are regulated in the public interest rather than for private gain. www.foodandwaterwatch.org